Ostroh Slavic Greek Latin Academy was the first higher educational establishment in Ukraine and Eastern Europe. It was founded by Prince Vasyl-Konstiantyn Ostrozkyi and Princess Halshka Ostrozka in 1576.
The revival of Ostroh Academy began after 12 April 1994 when the first decree of the President of Ukraine concerning Ostroh Academy was signed. According to the President’s decree dated 30 October 2000 Ostroh Academy University acquired the status of the National University. The University has an exemplary reputation both in Ukraine and abroad. In 1999 Ostroh Academy was honoured with 27th International prize “For Quality” in Paris, France.
Resent-day Ostroh Academy is:
- high-end computer laboratories;
- Internet access;
- modern language laboratories;
- virtual library;
- newest teaching methods;
- module and rating system;
- sports clubs;
- Culture and Art Centre;
- international exchange programmes;
- opportunity to learn two professions.
Faculties & Departments
Teaching and research in the National University of Ostroh Academy is organised by Faculties. There are five Faculties and I. Malynovskyi Institute of Law offering sixteen prestigious specialties:
- Faculty of Political Studies and Information Management(“Documentation and Information”, “Political Studies”, “Psychology”);
- Faculty of Economics(“Finance”, “Economic Cybernetics”);
- Faculty of Romance and Germanic Languages;
- Faculty of Humanities(“Cultural Studies”, “Ukrainian Philology”, “Journalism”, “Literary Studies”, “Religious Studies”, “Theology”);
- Faculty of International Relations(“History”, “Country Studies”, “International Relations”);
- I. Malynovskyi Institute of Law (“Law”).
Ihor Pasichnyk, Rector of the National University ofOstroh Academy, Doctor of Psychology, Professor of the Department of of Psychology and Pedagogics, member of International Slavic Academy of Sciences and Academy of Sciences for Higher Education of Ukraine, Honored Worker of National Education of Ukraine, labour veteran, Hero of Ukraine. Graduated from Rivne Pedagogical University in 1971 with major in mathematics. 1976-1994 he was working in this university.
In 2006 for significant personal contribution to socio-economic and cultural development of Ukraine Ihor Pasichnyk was awarded the State prize of Ukraine in the sphere of architecture and the Order of Prince Yaroslav the Wise (the 5th degree). In 2007 he was written up for the Order of Prince Yaroslav the Wise (the 4th degree) for significant personal contribution to the development of constitutional principles of Ukrainian statehood, conscientious work and true professionalism.
On 19 August 2009, in accordance with the Decree of the President of Ukraine No. 636 Rector of the National University of Ostroh Academy Ihor Pasichnyk was awarded the title Hero of Ukraine for his considerable personal contribution to preserving and enriching national educational legacy of Ukraine.
Petro Kraliuk, Vice-Rector for teaching and education, Doctor of Philosophy, Professor.